Sunday, June 22, 2008

thats rubbish that is

i was trying to get my coach to give me a predicted time yesterdy but he was very close-lipped on the matter(except of course when it came to telling me how inconsistent my training is!!!!!!... well derr fred...i have a pretty significant back injury that sometimes even i cannot bear the pain of running on it..and this weeek 3 days where i could not bend, was one of those... i actually think i do a pretty good job of kms really... a few people have seen me with some pretty significant taping in order to run at times..
anyway he eventually said(just to annoy!!!!!!) me around 25 mins... i think i shrieked at this stage..whaddya mean 25 mins... if i dont run under 25 mins , then im quitting running

well i ran 28 mins...AND IM NOT quitting running... cos there is a story that goes with it..
the run
..didnt have my garmin charged which was a bummer, oh well im sure there will be km markers..obviously im blind and can see the first two.... anyway said to some girl, what are you aiming at 25 mins you> i replied 23mins somethiing but would accept 24mins dead
anyway took off..shes right next to me for a bit and i couldnt judge my pace so im wondering if ive gone too slow...eventually found a pace that was uncomfortable(as it should be in a race) but not too bad...was sucking in serioius air on the clockwise ascent up anderson st, then enjoyed the downhill section... said to some guys-you see any km markers..yeah were at 2.5kms already... oh ok... hit the 3kms in 14:10 i think so i was happy with this as i would sub 24 if i maintained.. i actually started to push a bit(but there were a couple fo rises and hit the 4km marker in some tunnel bridge at 19mins.... again happy 23:40ish it looks like..speed up again.... and running and it is now 23 mins and the end is nowhere in sight(and ive sped up if anything) and looking at 25 tick over...and im going this is just not right... mentioned something to someone else and they just looked bewildered..we are only half a km away..half a km!!!!! i dont run 9min kms but thats what im looking at for this last supposed km... anyway was feeling a bit disgruntled and finished in 28mins flat but KNOWING that it had to be long... i was trying to find someone with a garmin to ask but none anyway.... was not happy jan... anyway the girl id been talking to at the start came and found me..and ive gone... how long was that last km..something wrong there..and she goes hang on... i was just behind you(i was keeping you in my sights..thanks for pacing me) and we ran 6kms... she was then trying to explain to me where she thinks the officials gave us a bum steer and didnt make us do a hard left...i think most of the 5kmer may have..but i must have got lost in the sea of 10kms...anyway i was a bit grumpy but at the end of the day i ran 4:40min kms which is 23:20 for the 5km...but and yes my VANITY is prevailing...anyone who checks my time will think ive run 28mins for 5kms..i dont want that time against my name!!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrr

anyway had done 2kms to warm up plus run throughs so had run over 40mins.. probs 42 mins.. then went for a run after ..very slow and there was some run walk moments..more in the first 10mins when my legs were rebelling.. and my knee was very sore for the last ummmmm 30minutes.... so all up ran for around 82mins...hard to say distance somewhere in the 15km range?
my back is ....................well, my back is terrible actually..i cant bend and it hurts a lot to get in and out of the car... im doing the swing both legs out ,place both feet on the ground, push on the seat and then stand up...and wince while you try to start walking again(dont worry its been like this all week-was slightly better this morning and i heavily taped it to run)
(cant have one legs sideways and get out of the car like i usually do)i think i will have to strap it even for normal activities like walking and ummm eating(lol)for the next few days :( i really have to book in for that MRI and injection(painful apparently) deep into the back ....double
:( anyway it recovers better than it used to so..it has 2 full days between now and next training session.. sorry about whinging about my back... i generally dont write much about it these days... its been over a year now.... and im a bit over the amount of pain that i get on a REGULAR basis.... but as my sports doc said...a year is not a long time in the recovery of a back from an injury such as mine ..at least i have full functionality back in my foot :) cant say that about this time last year :) thats better jojo (drop foot wasnt fun... i felt like a monster dragging their foot along the ground)..and i couldnt sit on a couch this time last year, and i was in pain all day every day.... i have a few consecutive days without pain sometimes now.....so i really should just count my blessings

2 comments:

Andrew(ajh) said...

I can't wait to get Tuesdays Age, just so I can think "Gee, Jo ran slowly last Sunday" as I read it ! :-)

Seriously though, what a pain in the butt!

Oh well, we'll see how we go at Princes Park won't we - although I'm thinking of asking Alyssa if she wants to come, if she does I'll run it together with her, so it may not be all out pace!

Anonymous said...

Hey, well done but Grrrr on the mis-direction. I would be the same, very grumpy to see the dodgy results in the paper.

But hey, great run though, I said it before and I'll say it again, would be too scared to line up next to you with some serious training under your belt, too much natural talent there young lady :-)

Hope next week is a bit calmer before the school hols start.