Saturday, May 30, 2009

sandown-no excuses!

As i said to Em and Corrie at the start of the race today: "for the first time in 3years, im fit, im uninjured, im training well, if i dont run well today >>IT IS ALL DOWN TO ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
3 of my team mates came up-what time are you running today-aiming for 45 will go conservative 4;20- 4.25 for the first km and then settle

with 00m, i LOST the other 3-as they were ahead of me with stu(sorry about (to be long race report -scroll down if you like)
I could see them at all times (20m maybe) but i just kept my eye on the at all times..first km 4:21 and next 4:28 but just wasnt feeling great whilst running...at 3km i was not a happy camper, but every time i didnt feel great i said to myself"cmon jo...PUSH...WORK!!!!!"eventually i caught up to one of the 3 team mattes and then moved up to the next one(just behind stu(about 6kms at the moment)
had worked hard to get up to stu and was going to use him as a windbreak-did i mention it was WINDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and then hes gone work up to bec-I very ALMOST wailedï cant "but i thought ,. ill give it a go and overtook stu and tried tried tried to catch her..evetually got to her and moved past...at the 7km mark i was starting to cramp in the belly and thought i might stop and walk..... at the 8km mark, i wasnt happy but i told myself to PUSH again(really really didnt feel like it"but as i told myself at 3 and 5kms-it was just mental now, i WAS well and truly fit enough..and i didnt want to have to go through this on another 10km later in the year(10km really is my racing limit-just not built for it) too heavy in the upper body(maybe if i lost 5kgs!!!) and not disciplined enough
anyway-the back straight was the most horrendous thing on EARTH..lol im not kidding, windy and a very slight incline but it went freaking forever
I MADE SUB 45-yay yay yay- it felt crap and i worked waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy hard but hey i got there.. i said to stu- dont reckon i can EVER EVER do that again and he is like..well next year aim for sub 44(ill resist the snort here that he got got earlier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
anyway theres a MAJOR goal ticked off
..oh and a lesson in pacing...all of the girls who went faster than me in the 1st 1-6kms who were aiming for roughly the same finishing time, were behind me come finish line....
so super super super happy-cant believe how hard i found it.. a 1min pb 44.35 officially
maybe i should retire and NEVER run a 1o k-er again...lol
now a few well deserved wines i say

7 comments:

Ewen said...

You deserve a couple of bottles after that effort. Well done! And thrashing el-President by over a minute!

Also, a good lesson taught to that mean coach of yours about how to pace a 10k. Yes, retire with that time so I have a reasonable target. I don't want you running 43-something!

Em said...

Yay, just over a minute better than your old mark.

Way to go :-)

All I cared about when I finished was to see how you and Corrie ran, so happy that you both had a good one, it made my day.

Andrew(ajh) said...

Well done Jo, a great effort. well deserved after all the training!

Stu Mac said...

Well done Jo!!! A good run and I don't think you could have done anything different in those conditions or with current fitness!

Yes you beat me today and you deserved to beat me, no reason except that you ran better, again well done!

Here publically, I state as your coach, with 12 months of good running & training, you will be aiming for sub 44 minutes.

Anonymous said...

Stu is being easy on you .... I see a 43.2X in your future ...

Great work Jo ... enjoy a short rest and look after the back

EatEm

MorseyRuns said...

Congratulations Jojo- definitely a few drinks earned there. Great run, especially with the wind and the hill. (I think Stu is being easy on you as well! Sub 40!)

Kathy said...

Way to go! That's great news. Well done.